Checkboxes are a closed-ended question type that allows multiple answers to be selected, which makes them a good option when you want to give your participants the option to choose several items from a group of choices.
Let us who you a neat example where this makes sense:
If you had used radio buttons instead of checkboxes, the user would only be allowed to pick a single favourite animal, but with checkboxes, they can select all of them or some of them.
Creating a checkboxes question
To add this question type to your questionnaire:
- Select Multiple checkboxes in the field type section of your question.
- Enter question text.
- In the Answers field, enter each answer choice.
- Configure any additional options.
- Click Save.
Managing multiple answers
Checkboxes support instant field validation for multiple answers, which is useful if, for instance, you need two or more checkboxes to be checked.
Under the Field type selection, you can set a range or limit on how many answers the participant must check. A minimum and maximum requirements are available, so you can enter the number of answer choices you want to require the participant to answer.
Customising the error message
If you require to answer a specific range or number of answer choices, we made sure to add an error message to reflect your requirement so participants will know how to answer your question correctly ;)
Under the Validation tab of your question, you can customise this error message to specify a required question's range or limit so participants can successfully answer your required question.
Other options & settings
You can further customise your questionnaire in the following ways:
- Make the question required or optional
- Show question within a specific time range
- Sort or randomise answer choices
- Set a time limit for questions
- Display all questions on the same page
- Authorise "back" button (to previous questions)
- Customise position of hint
Please note that scoring the question is currently not possible with checkboxes.