Triggers control when your pop-up will be displayed. Once the trigger event occurs, your pop-up will display on your website. Each pop-up can have multiple triggers.
How to set a trigger for your pop-up
Pop-up triggers are set in your pop-up campaign, under the Triggers step.
What are the available triggers?
It is only possible to publish Promotional pop-ups on your custom domain. The publication of pop-ups is not compatible with the subdomains of qualifioapp.com.
Our Promotional Pop-Ups allow you to target specific posts, pages, and categories of your website. The URL matching feature provides you with 3 targeting options:
- URL is
- URL starts with
- URL contains
Please note that we use "or..." with display rules, which means that the pop-up will automatically display when any of the triggers are met.
- Description: When using the "URL is..." targeting option, every character in your URL, from beginning to end, must match the entered value in order for the pop-up to display.
- Use case: Target a specific page on your site. In the screenshot below, the pop-up would display only on the URL https://qualifio.com/about-us/ and nowhere else.
- Description: The "URL starts with..." targeting option matches identical characters from the beginning of the URL.
- Use case: Target all pages that have a URL which starts with the entered text.
For instance, all pages that are on your Spanish website:
In the screenshot above, our pop-up would display on https://qualifio.com/es/, on https://qualifio.com/es/servicios/ and on https://qualifio.com/es/servicios/planes/ since they all start with qualifio.com/es/.
Or all pages that are part of your "Product" category:
In this screenshot, our pop-up would display on https://qualifio.com/product/, on https://qualifio.com/product/campaign-formats/ and on https://qualifio.com/product/features/, but it wouldn't display on https://qualifio.com/features/product/ since the URL doesn't start with qualifio.com/product/ (it does not have the same subdirectory).
- Description: The "URL contains..." targeting option allows you to target any occurrence of a word or string.
- Use case: Target all pages which contain the entered text.
In this screenshot, our pop-up would display on https://qualifio.com/product/campaign-formats/quiz/, on https://qualifio.com/product/campaign-formats/chrono-quiz/, as well as on any other URL that contains the word quiz.
We could also imagine this URL targeting option would be useful in case you wanted to show your pop-up only to visitors coming from Facebook and you have a UTM parameter to identify them ("utm_source=facebook"). You could have a display rule that states:
Trigger templates allow you to create sets of trigger rules and reuse them. Although there are no pre-defined trigger templates in your account, you can create your own.
Creating a trigger template
You can create a new trigger template in your Documents > Trigger templates or during the process of creating your pop-up campaign. In the latter, you can begin by selecting an existing template or create one from scratch.
Managing trigger templates
Your trigger templates can be found in Documents > Trigger templates where, in addition to creating new ones, you can filter, modify or delete templates. To view or edit a trigger template's display rules, click the edit icon next to the entry.
What happens if several pop-ups share the same trigger rules?
Let's say you create two different pop-ups in your account. The first one is named "Pop-Up A" and the second "Pop-Up B":
For both of them, let's imagine there is a trigger rule stating that the pop-up should be triggered when the URL is domain.com/subfolder.
Which one will display on this page? There can only be one pop-up triggered on a specific page, so we will always show the most recent one. In this example, if Pop-Up A was created on 23 June and Pop-Up B on 24 June, then Pop-Up B will be shown to visitors.
Working with HTTP/S
- If you have an SSL certificate for your Qualifio website, the URL targeting options will ignore http vs https protocols. It will apply to visitors of your regular website (http://) if you have one and your SSL website (https://). The pop-up will be shown regardless of any variation in the protocol.
- If there is no SSL certificate for the selected Qualifio website, only the http protocol will be included. The pop-up won't be shown to visitors of this SSL page (https://) if there is one.
I set up my pop-up so it will stop displaying after the user sees it, closes it or clicks the link. How long is the cookie saved?
We're using a cookie to remember that the user saw, closed or clicked on the pop-up. The cookie is valid for a term of one month. Pop-ups controlled by this cookie can redisplay before the cookie expires if the cookie is cleared from the visitor's browser.
💡 Related article: About Promotional Pop-Ups