This article describes how to configure mapping variables to send data from Qualifio to your vendor.
Note: For some integrations that were set up before February 2020, mapping variables are not available. For using those integrations, the process is nearly identical but you should use SSO variables (see this article) or custom CRM variables (see this article). Please contact us for additional information.
In this article:
- About mapping variables
- Creating a mapping variable
- How to use mapping variables in a campaign?
About mapping variables
Mapping variables are used to store the information that is passed to your vendor.
You have an integration with us for which you are using SSO or custom CRM variables.
What you need to do: Nothing. You can keep using the SSO and custom CRM variables from their deprecation date to the day we will remove them from our service. If necessary, your integration variables will be converted during a future update.
You would like to have an integration with us. How does this affect you?
What you need to do: Nothing. Your new integration will automatically use the new mapping variables.
Creating a mapping variable
To view or manage mapping variables, open your Settings. In the Mapping variables, you can see all the variables that were created in your account.
To add a mapping variable for your account, use the following steps:
- In Mapping variables, click + Add a new variable on the right.
The mapping variable creation screen displays.
- Enter a Display label and Technical name.
- Display label: The business name of the variable, as displayed in Qualifio. The display label can have spaces. E.g. "Dog name"
- Technical name: The technical name is used to refer to the value of the mapping variable. Spaces are not allowed for the name. The technical name should be unique. E.g. "dog_name"
- From the drop-down list, select the type of variable to create. The following options are available:
- Answer: allows you to push the value of a participant's response.
- Opt-in: allows you to push new subscribers to your vendor. The value is 1 if the opt-in was checked or answered with "Yes", 0 if answered with "No", and empty if the opt-in wasn't checked or left unanswered (if optional).
- Note: it is currently not possible to change the type of a variable after its creation.
- Enabled in: shows where the variable is available. Depending on the selected type, the following options are available: forms, questions and opt-ins. This can help you sort mapping variables in order to narrow down the list of possible choices in your forms, questions and opt-ins.
- Click Save. The new mapping variable displays in the list.
To edit a mapping variable, click the pencil icon next to the mapping variable you want to modify.
To delete a mapping variable, click the trash icon next to the mapping variable you want to remove.
A confirmation message displays. Once you confirm, the deleted mapping variable is removed and cannot be restored.
How to use mapping variables in a campaign?
The mapping variables can be used in forms and opt-ins.
To set the mapping variables in a form, just follow the below-mentioned steps.
This procedure is possible in the Forms and Master Forms. See "How to use Master Forms" for more information.
Login > Documents > Forms > Edit form
- Add or edit a form field
- Assign a mapping variable to that field
NOTE: Mapping variables work with the following form field types:
- Answer: email fields, birthdate fields, phone fields, radio buttons, drop-down lists, answer buttons, checkboxes, numeric and alphanumeric fields, text boxes for galleries, text areas, URL fields, VAT number fields, and date fields.
- Opt-in: opt-ins, unique checkboxes, and opt-out consent fields.
To set a mapping variable in an opt-in, follow the below-mentioned steps:
Login > Opt-ins > Opt-in management > Edit opt-in
- Add or edit an opt-in
- Assign a mapping variable to that opt-in
Let's say you want to publish a quiz about dogs to find out more about your visitors' pets. Here's how you would manage mapping variables for this.
Create 2 variables based on the participant information you want to push:
Display label: Dog name
Technical name: dog_name
Variable type: Answer
Ask participants what their dog's name is and push this information to your vendor.
Display label: Dog newsletter
Technical name: sub_newsletter_dog
Variable type: Opt-in
With this mapping variable assigned to your newsletter opt-in, each participant who accepts to subscribe to your newsletter will be labelled as such on the vendor side.
Can I add mapping variables in bulk?
At this time, it is not possible to add mapping variables in bulk. You will need to manually add each variable.
How to pass mapping variables in a redirection URL?
The values of the mapping variables can be passed into a website or landing page by adding variables in the redirection link. Use automatic URL redirection to pass data at the end of a campaign.
Can I reorder mapping variables?
Mapping variables are sorted from oldest (top of the list) to newest (bottom of the list). It is not possible to drag and drop mapping variables in your preferred order.
How many mapping variables can I create?
There are no limits to how many mapping variables you can create and manage in Qualifio. You and the Admins on your team can create as many variables as your business logic requires.
Forbidden characters and variable names
- Variable technical names must be unique.
- Variable technical names are up to 250 characters long.
- Variable technical names can only contain letters and digits, except that hyphens (-), underscores ( _ ) and plus signs (+) are allowed.
- Spaces are not allowed in a technical name. Traditionally, an underscore can be used instead (e.g. football_club). An alternative to this might be capitalisation (e.g. FootballClub).
- Upper and lowercase letters are distinguished. AA, aa, Aa and aA refer to different variables.
Some names are reserved and cannot be used as technical names for mapping variables as they are already used elsewhere in Qualifio. You can't use the following technical names when you create mapping variables:
How to automatically pre-fill a form based on CRM variables in an emailing?
How to use dynamic variables in your campaigns
What are global variables?
Using SSO variables with the Opt-in Manager
How to create SSO variables